This could be a southern thing, but one of my favorite meals growing up was cheese dip made with Velveeta and Rotel. If you’ve never had this combo, it’s next level delicious. Unfortunately, it’s far from a high protein cheese dip.
That’s why I love this recipe so much. It’s creamy and savory with the perfect kick from the Rotel that takes me back to my childhood. And even better, each serving touts 15 grams of protein and only 140 calories.
That’s right, you could eat the entire bowl for roughly 1,400 calories. But good luck doing that with an entire pound of meat inside. This stuff is a perfect high volume, high protein snack to keep you full while satisfying any chips and dip cravings.
High Protein Cheese Dip Ingredient Notes
With a short ingredient list, I don’t have a lot to say about ingredients that I haven’t already included in the recipe card’s notes section below. Instead, I’ll leave you with a handful of pairing ideas for this high protein cheese dip.
- Copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch Recipe
- Pork Tenderloin Carnitas in the Ninja Foodi
- Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- The Best Oven Baked Tacos
You can’t go wrong with any of the recipes above, and this dip would set them off perfectly. As for dipping, check out the lower calorie chip recipe below. It’s super simple and will blow you away. I’ve even had readers say they make these at home and take to Mexican restaurants to have instead of the house chips.
A Lower Calorie Tortilla Chip Recipe
My low calorie tortilla chips recipe calls for Mission Extra Thin tortillas, but you can use any corn tortilla. You may need to modify the bake time slightly for different sizes, however.
If you’d like other options, check out my ultimate healthy snacks guide for other low calorie chip ideas.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey, 93/7
- 8 oz Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 1/2 C (113g) Plain Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
- 15 oz can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz can Rotel
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium-high heat.
- Once the turkey is fully cooked, reduce the heat to a low-medium heat. Add the beans, Rotel, and taco seasoning. Stir well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt and stir until both are fully incorporated. Remove from the heat to cool, briefly.
- Add to a large bowl on a food scale and divide total weight by 10 or your desired number of servings. (Each serving is probably around ½ C or 150g.)
- Each serving has 3 Smart Points.
- Feel free to swap the ground turkey for ground beef or ground chicken like in my bang bang chicken dip.
- If you can't find fat-free cream cheese, use 1/3 fat instead.
- Serve with the lower calorie tortilla chips in the recipe write-up above or with Tostitos Baked Scoops or another low calorie chip replacement.
- If you want to beef this recipe up and add some serious volume, add a 12-ounce bag of cauliflower rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 150 g (about 1/2 C)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 15g