High Protein Cheese Dip: A Simple One-Pan Low Calorie Dip Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales. Click here to read my full disclosure.
This could be a southern thing, but one of my favorite meals growing up was cheese dip made with Velveeta and Rotel. If you’ve never had this combo, it’s next level delicious. Unfortunately, it’s far from a high protein cheese dip.
That’s why I love this recipe so much. It’s creamy and savory with the perfect kick from the Rotel that takes me back to my childhood. And even better, each serving touts 15 grams of protein and only 140 calories.
That’s right, you could eat the entire bowl for roughly 1,400 calories. But good luck doing that with an entire pound of meat inside. This stuff is a perfect high volume, high protein snack to keep you full while satisfying any chips and dip cravings.
High Protein Cheese Dip Ingredient Notes
With a short ingredient list, I don’t have a lot to say about ingredients that I haven’t already included in the recipe card’s notes section below. Instead, I’ll leave you with a few pairing ideas for this high protein cheese dip.
- Cheesy Gordita Crunch Copycat
- 5-Ingredient Crispy Carnitas
- Roasted Corn & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
You can’t go wrong with any of the recipes above, and this dip would set them off perfectly. As for dipping, check out the lower calorie chip recipe below. It’s super simple and will blow you away. I’ve even had readers say they make these at home and take to Mexican restaurants to have instead of the house chips.
A Lower Calorie Tortilla Chip Recipe
My low calorie tortilla chips recipe below calls for Mission Extra Thin tortillas, but you can use any corn tortilla. You may need to modify the bake time slightly for different sizes, however.
If you’d like other options, check out my ultimate healthy snacks guide for other low calorie chip ideas.
And if you dig the recipe graphic above, be sure to follow me on Instagram where I share 2-3 recipes per day.
High Protein Cheese Dip
Ahigh protein cheese dip perfect for nachos, topping burritos and tacos, or simply dipping.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey 93/7
- 8 oz Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 1/2 C (113g) Plain Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
- 15 oz can Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 10 oz can Rotel
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium-high heat.
Once the turkey is fully cooked, reduce the heat to a low-medium heat. Add the beans, Rotel, and taco seasoning. Stir well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt and stir until both are fully incorporated. Remove from the heat to cool, briefly.
Add to a large bowl on a food scale and divide total weight by 10 or your desired number of servings. (Each serving is probably around ½ C or 150g.)
- Each serving has 3 Smart Points.
- Feel free to swap the ground turkey for ground beef, chicken, pork, or a meat-free alternative. Be sure to account for macro differences.
- If you can't find fat-free cream cheese, use 1/3 fat instead.
- Serve with the lower calorie tortilla chips in the recipe write-up above or with Tostitos Baked Scoops or another low calorie chip replacement.
- If you want to beef this recipe up and add some serious volume, add a 12-ounce bag of cauliflower rice.
More Healthy Appetizers You Might Like
My chorizo dip is very similar, pairing freshly sauteed onions and garlic with lower fat homemade chorizo.
And if you’re looking for something a bit more travel friendly, my buffalo chicken empanadas can be easily modified for all kinds of filling options.