Baked Buffalo Chicken Empanadas
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
These buffalo chicken empanadas are super easy to make, crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and perfect for the calorie conscious gangsters out there. Thanks to a spin on the infamous 2-ingredient dough, each baked empanada has just 4 grams of fat!
And best of all, they’re highly customizable. I’ll give you a few of my favorite filling combos below, but you can get as creative as your heart desires.
How to Make Baked Empanadas
In case you’re unfamiliar with 2-ingredient dough, it’s simply a combination of fat free Greek yogurt and all purpose flour. It’s perfect for bagels, pastries, and especially low calorie pizza.
For these baked buffalo chicken empanadas, the recipe calls for blending the dough together in a food processor. But you can certainly mix it by hand like I did in my low calorie pizza recipe.
Once you have your dough ready to go, roll it out into rectangle and cut it into 4 pieces. Then it’s as simple as fill, wrap, brush with a bit of oil, and bake!
Buffalo Chicken Empanadas Filling Ingredients
Simple is the name of the game. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- fat free or 1/3 fat cream cheese
- buffalo sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- ranch seasoning
- cooked chicken
Options for the Cooked Chicken
You can use any kind of chicken in your empanadas. Here are a few ideas:
- my Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken was destined for chicken empanadas
- my Carolina BBQ crockpot shredded chicken
- use rotisserie chicken without the skin (and here are 10 more healthy recipes using rotisserie chicken)
- make my naked chicken tenders (the chipotle ranch flavor would be great for these empanadas)
- use a precooked chicken like John Soules or Tyson grilled strips or chicken by the pound from a local restaurant (I love Whole Hog BBQ’s pulled chicken)
And while it’s not chicken, one final recommendation would be my crispy carnitas.
Final Recipe Notes
For a quick and easy dip, you can mix 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon of the ranch seasoning. You can also use a premade low calorie ranch, bleu cheese, or dressing of your choice.
And if you’re using an air fryer, I fried mine at 400 for 8-10 minutes but cooked the outside a bit too fast. I would reduce the temperature to maybe 375 and fry for 14-16 minutes.
And I think that’s about it! If you make these buffalo chicken empanadas, I wanna see ’em! Grab a photo and tag me on Instagram @mason_woodruff. Or you can join my free Facebook group and share it with the Proton Party.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Empanadas
Creamy buffalo chicken inside crispy 2-ingredient dough.
- 1 C (120g) All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 C (150g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 3 oz Chicken Breast cooked and shredded
- 2 oz Fat Free Cream Cheese or 1/3 fat cream cheese (room temp or softened)
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tsp Ranch Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp (8g) Olive Oil or your choice of oil
Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick mat.
Add the flour and Greek yogurt to a food processor and blend until you can form a ball of dough. (You can also mix by hand.)
Spray the parchment paper with a bit of cooking spray and roll the dough into a large rectangle (about 11x8).
Mix the cream cheese, cooked chicken, buffalo sauce, and ranch seasoning together in a small bowl.
Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and add 1/4th of the buffalo chicken mixture to each piece near the center cut line.
Fold the other half of the dough over, sealing the edges all the way around.
Use a fork to crimp the edges to further seal the empanadas and brush the olive oil over each empanada.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. (Air fry for 14-16 minutes at 375.)
- Each serving has 4 Smart Points.
- If you have trouble rolling your dough because it's too sticky, add a bit more flour. You shouldn't need more than an extra tablespoon or two.
More Filling Ideas
A handful of recipes come to mind that would make for great savory empanada fillings:
- cheesy taco boats
- bean and cheese taquitos
- everything bagel egg whites
- chipotle beef from my sweet potato nachos
Bone apple tea!