These chicken breakfast sausage patties have all the same sausage flavor you love with a fraction of the fat and calories. Now you can have peppery, smoky breakfast sausage for just 60 calories a piece.
And if you think making your own sausage might be complicated, think again. Mix a few spices together, add to ground chicken, form patties like you’re making burgers, and throw ’em in a pan. That’s it!
Ingredients for Chicken Breakfast Sausage
If you’re familiar with my recipes, you know I love using reduced fat pork sausage. While it’s a great ingredient, it’s still rather high in fat and calories—even for a reduced fat version.
These chicken breakfast sausage patties use a leaner source of meat in ground chicken. Not only is ground chicken much leaner, it takes on the breakfast sausage flavors really well.
In case you have trouble finding ground chicken, you’re welcome to use ground pork or even turkey. You may also be able to have chicken breast ground for you in the butcher section of your grocery store.
Chicken Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Recipe
After testing SO many spice blends, I think I finally nailed the classic breakfast sausage flavor. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- smoked paprika
- brown sugar
With all the testing, I’ll say that there’s plenty of wiggle room with the ingredients. I tried adding a bit of thyme, ground cloves, and sweet paprika without any failures. So, if you’re missing an ingredient, you can probably substitute something else and get pretty close.
The only ingredients I’d try to nail 100% would be the salt, black and red pepper, and brown sugar.
Tips for Cooking
As I mention in the recipe notes below, stainless steel or cast iron will work best for creating a sear and crispy crust. Nonstick should work just fine but if you’re lacking that fatty-like sausage exterior, this could be the culprit.
And in case you’re wondering if the oil is necessary, it’s not, but I highly recommend using it. The olive oil provides a ton of flavor and, once again, helps create the crust on the chicken breakfast sausage. You can, however, use another type of oil if you don’t have olive oil on hand.
Serving Your Homemade Breakfast Sausage
These sausages are perfect with my Greek yogurt biscuits or Homemade McGriddles. But feel free to keep it simple and serve this recipe up with toast, on a biscuit, or with a side of my air fried breakfast potatoes and peppers.
In case you’re feeling adventurous, you could cook and crumble this chicken breakfast sausage to use in some of my favorite recipes:
- air fryer egg white muffins
- breakfast mac and cheese
- baked breakfast tacos
- 100-calorie breakfast chili
That should be plenty of inspiration. If you have any recipe questions, drop a comment below. And don’t forget to snap a pic of your chicken breakfast sausage and tag me on Instagram!
- 1 lb Ground Chicken (I used 97/3)
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt, or 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 2 Tbsp (24g) Swerve Brown*, or light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp (16g) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Making the Sausage Patties
- Mix the dry spices and brown sugar in a small bowl before adding to the ground chicken. Work the chicken and spices together until evenly mixed.
- Divide the ground chicken into 10 pieces (about 48 grams or 1.8 ounces each) and press between your palms to flatten.
Cooking the Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil. (I used a 12" cast iron skillet. If you're using a smaller skillet, you may need to cook in batches.)
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add the sausage patties to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bottoms are a crispy brown. Flip each patty and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the patties are cooked through and reach an internal temp of 165ºF. Transfer to a plate and let the sausage patties rest for a few minutes before serving.
*Nutrition facts do not include carbs from zero calorie Swerve Brown. If you use light brown sugar, each sausage patty will have 2g of carbs.
- Each sausage patty has 0 WW SmartPoints (blue).
- With 92/8 ground chicken, each chicken breakfast sausage patty has 80 calories, 9g protein, 0g carbs, and 5g fat
- Check out my sausage gravy, sausage cheese balls, and sausage egg and cheese breakfast skillet casserole if you love the flavor of this breakfast sausage and want more ways to use it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Sausage Patties Serving Size: 1 Sausage Patty
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 0gProtein: 10g