You’re going to love this easy 4-ingredient teriyaki ground beef stir fry with zucchini and mushrooms. Paired with a lower calorie yum yum sauce and a blend of cauliflower and jasmine rice, it’s perfect for meal prep or healthy weeknight dinners.
Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry
This is a short and sweet recipe, with only 4 ingredients in the primary stir fry. Here’s a look at everything you’ll need:
- 96/4 Ground Beef – Can’t make a stir fry with ground beef without it, right? That said, ground chicken, turkey, or pork would all work fine as well.
- Chopped Zucchini – You could add/substitute other vegetables like broccoli or green beans. Check out my sticky sweet ground beef and broccoli and sweet chili ground beef and brussels sprouts for ideas.
- Sliced Mushrooms – I used a pre-sliced blend of shiitake, oyster, and baby bella.
- Teriyaki Sauce – I used Kevin’s Natural Foods teriyaki, which has 15 calories and 2 grams of carbs per tablespoon. You could also make your own healthy teriyaki sauce.
You’ll also need a half tablespoon of oil for browning the ground beef. I typically use avocado or olive oil.
How to Make Ground Beef Meal Prep Bowls
The recipe is one of the best ways to meal prep with ground beef I’ve ever made. It makes 5 servings made up of 8 ounces of the teriyaki ground beef stir fry, 2 tablespoons of yum yum sauce, and 3/4 cup of a rice blend.
Low Calorie Yum Yum Sauce
If you’re unfamiliar with yum yum sauce, it’s a mayo-based dipping sauce typically found in American-Japanese steakhouses. It’s tangy, sweet, and slightly spicy. There are tons of variations, but I like the following combo:
- Light Mayo
- Rice Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
You can use other ingredients like chili garlic sauce, fat free Greek yogurt, and sugar free ketchup to make it even lower calorie or adjust the flavor to your preference.
As a bonus ingredient, I highly recommend adding a drizzle of the Bachan’s Japanese barbecue sauce I used for my BBQ chicken fried rice.
Cauliflower Rice Blend
Cauliflower rice is “meh” at best. But when you mix it with “real” rice, like my Tex-Mex ground beef skillet, it becomes nearly indistinguishable. This is a great way to bulk up your meals.
You can obviously play around with ratios, but I think 3 cups of cauliflower rice to 2 cups of jasmine or basmati rice is the magic number.
Assembly and Macros
The recipe makes the following:
- about 20 oz or 5 cups of rice: 510 calories, 16g protein, 106g carbs, 0g fat
- about 1/2 cup of sauce: 240 calories, 1g protein, 30g carbs, 14g fat
- about 40 oz of teriyaki ground beef: 905 calories, 95g protein, 38g carbs, 31g fat
You can tweak the amounts in each meal prep bowl to fit your macros as needed.
And that should cover it. Have a question about this teriyaki ground beef I forgot to cover? Drop it in the comments below. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 2 Zucchini, chopped
- 6 oz Sliced Mushrooms (I used a blend of shiitake, oyster, and baby bella)
- 2/3 cup (169g) Teriyaki Sauce (I used Kevin's)
For the Yum Yum Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60g) Light Mayo
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons (23g) Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon (21g) Honey
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
For the Rice
- 3 cups (340g) Cooked Cauliflower Rice
- 2 cups (280g) Cooked Rice
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Break apart, fully cook, and push to one side of the pan.
- Add the remaining olive oil and zucchini. Cook until the zucchini starts to pick up color and soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir everything together before adding the Teriyaki sauce. Cook until the sauce is evenly distributed and sticking to the stir fry, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the ground beef over rice with the sauce. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds, if desired.
See the post above for a nutritions facts breakdown for each individual component to make your meal prep bowls fit your individual macros.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 8 oz stir fry with 1 cup rice and 2 tablespoons sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 9gCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gProtein: 23g