Healthy Huevos Rancheros Crustless Quiche: Instant Pot or Oven
Today’s recipe will put a low calorie spin on huevos rancheros and pack all their flavor into a crustless quiche. It’s a super simple recipe that can be prepared in an Instant Pot or oven, and a recipe to set yourself up for breakfast success all week long.
I love recipes like this because they’re so customizable and don’t require a ton of precision, as you’ll see in the video walkthrough below. I’ll touch on a few ingredient modification ideas below but just know that you can really have fun with this crustless quiche.
And as you probably know by now, most of my recipes are high in protein and low in calories. This crustless quiche is no different, though I haven’t made the base recipe as lean as possible. One slice is a mere 130 calories, but I’ll give you a tweak to take each slice to 107 calories if your heart desires.
Okay, let’s get to the recipe!
How to Make a Crustless Quiche
The ingredient list for our huevos rancheros crustless quiche is a short one. In terms of modifications, you can get creative with your filling. Adding things like peppers, onions, and chopped broccoli or spinach would work great. Though you may need to adjust the liquid ingredients slightly.
One thing I love about a quiche, like I mentioned above, is the lack of precision required. It’s really quite difficult to mess it up sans adding too much liquid or undercooking. I won’t bore you with every possible ingredient swap, but I will add that you could easily adjust the calories up or down with the eggs and cheese.
For example, swapping whole eggs for egg whites would take each slice to 166 calories, 13g of protein, 12.8g of carbs, and 7g of fat.
And going with all fat-free cheddar and mozzarella would reduce the numbers to 107 calories, 13.3g of protein, 12.8g of carbs, and .25g of fat.
In the video below, I go through the recipe from start to finish. I’m using an Instant Pot Lux 60 here, but I’ve included instructions for using an oven in the recipe notes. You can see the Instant Pot’s finished product in the video to make sure your quiche is done with the recommended cook time for an oven.
I think that’s about all you’ll need to know. As always, if you try any of my recipes, I want to see your re-creations on Instagram. It lets me know you’re putting healthy recipes into action, and I love sharing your recipes to inspire others.
- 1 1/8 C (276g) Liquid Egg Whites, or whites of 6 large eggs
- 1/2 C (113g) Fat-Free Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 can (15 oz) Black Beans
- 1 can Rotel , Mexican-style preferred
- 1/2 C (56g) 2% Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 C (56g) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tbsp (18g) Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp (8g) Cheddar Cheese Powder, optional
- Line a springform pan with parchment paper. (If you're using an Instant Pot, a 7" pan is probably ideal, though I fit an 8" in my Lux60 model.) Once your springform pan is lined, wrap the bottom in aluminum foil. Spray the edges with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and Rotel.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, adding shredded cheese last.
- You can adjust seasoning to your desired level of spice. In the recipe video, I added a bit of cayenne and black pepper.
- Add the mixture to your pan and tightly cover with aluminum foil.
- Fold an additional piece of aluminum foil into a long, thin strip that can go under the pan for easier removal after cooking. If you're using an oven, this step isn't needed.
- In the Instant Pot, cook on manual for 45 minutes with 10 minutes NRP (natural release pressure). In the oven, cook covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. (Check to ensure the quiche is solid when it comes out of the oven. If it's not, extend the bake time by 5-10 minutes.)
- Once your quiche has cooked, place on a cooling rack or elevated surface to cool to room temperature. Leave covered.
- Ideally, you can cool and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. If you're going to refrigerate, run a knife around the edges between cooling and refrigeration. Since the quiche will shrink, if it's stuck to the edges of the pan, it might rip as it cools.
- Slice into 8 slices and serve warm. Top with fresh pico, guacamole, hot sauce, or any toppings you'd like.
Each slice has 2 Smart Points
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 12g
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
- Breakfast Chili
- How to Make Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Breakfast Nacho Boats
- Everything Bagel Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza
- Egg and Chorizo Breakfast Casserole