I don’t know about you, but I could eat cheeseburgers all day, every day. Unfortunately, that’s frowned upon, for whatever reason. This bright side of this calamity, however, is that I’ve been forced to get creative with my cheeseburger love. And in this case, I’ve created healthy burger bites that have all the delicious qualities of a cheeseburger in a finger food shell.
Since the world healthy means something different to every person, I’ll clarify that these cheeseburger bites are healthy in my book because of their low calorie and high protein content. This is a protein-focused food blog, after all.
Each cheeseburger cup is the size of a mini muffin and contains 48 Calories, 6.8 grams of protein, 2.3 grams of carbs, and 1.3 grams of fat. So, I guess these would qualify as low carb cheeseburger bites as well. You can see where naming my recipes gets tricky.
Ingredients for Healthy Cheeseburger Bites
You won’t need much for these cheeseburger bites. I’ll touch on the breadcrumbs and how you can substitute them below but first, I’d like to touch on the condiments and beef that will make up your cheeseburger bites.
The recipe calls for the standard ketchup, mustard, and pickle. If you want to leave pickles out, you can do so without needing to tweak anything else since they’re in limited quantity. On the other hand, if you want to remove the ketchup or mustard, you may need to add a bit more liquid or add some of the remaining condiments.
As far as the meat goes for your cheeseburger bites, you can swap beef for ground chicken or turkey if you’d like.
The only note I have here is if you’re going to use a fattier cut of meat, you may want to reduce the egg whites in the recipe since you’ll have some fat run-off during cooking. If you go with a meat below the 85/15 mark, you’ll want to keep an eye to ensure no fat is at risk of dripping off the muffin tin. Now that I say it, it’s probably best to stick to a leaner cut of meat for this recipe.
Related: 30 Macro Friendly Ground Beef Recipes and 25 Healthy Ground Chicken Recipes
If you need a gluten free option, others have successfully used gluten free breadcrumbs as well as crushed tortillas chips or chicharrones (pork rinds).
How to Make These Healthy Cheeseburger Cups (Video)
Check out the video below for a look at how easy these cheeseburger bites are to make.
What to Serve with Your Burger Bites
I’ll mention a few higher protein side dishes or appetizers below, but my Wingstop Fries recipe, Air Fryer Carrot Fries, and Five Guys Cajun Fries recipes were the first that came to mind. If you’re unfamiliar with Wingstop fries, that’s okay. All you need to know is that they’re sweet, salty, and some of the tastiest fries you’ll find. And my version is a much lower calorie version that can be baked or air fried.
More recipes to pair with your cheeseburger bites:
- Balsamic Roasted Air Fryer Carrots
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Ninja Foodi Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
- Homemade Crinkle Cut Fries
- The Best Air Fried Green Beans
And if you need a burger sauce, check out my spin on ShackSauce in my copycat Shake Shack burgers or the sauce from my low carb bacon cheeseburger skillet.
All righty, that’s all ya need to know. When you try these healthy cheeseburger bites, I want to hear about it. Take a picture of your creation and tag me on Instagram and I’ll be sure to share it with the world! I also appreciate feedback (good or bad) in the form of recipe reviews. Let me know how I can make this recipe or future recipes better.
Healthy Cheeseburger Bites
Enjoy all the best parts of a cheeseburger without all the calories with these cheeseburger bites.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef, macros with 96/4
- 3/4 C (184g) Liquid Egg Whites, or 4 whole egg whites
- 1/2 C (56g) Fat-Free Shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 C (56g) Shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 C (56g) Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 C (68g) Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- 3 T (45g) Mustard
- 5 small (50g) Dill Pickles, finely diced (relish may work here as well)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a 24-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef (or meat of choice) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- While the meat cooks, mix the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- After briefly cooling, add the cooked meat to the remaining ingredients, stirring until even.
- Spoon the mixture into the mini muffin tin, making sure to remove any excess between slots.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until muffin tops are golden brown. (For a standard size muffin tin, add 3-5 minutes to the bake time.)
- Each cheeseburger bite has 1 Smart Point (blue plan).
- Modifying ingredients may affect cook time. If the bottoms of the burger bites are still soft, extend the cook time by a few minutes. Be careful not to overcook (don't burn the tops).
- You can use any muffin tin you'd like but because people tend to ask, this is the one I use.
- Per bite (recipe makes 24): 48 Calories | 6.8P | 2.3C | 1.3F
- Per bite with full-fat cheddar: 54 Calories | 6.6P | 2.2C | 2.1F
- If you're tracking your calorie intake, be sure to account for any additional condiments you top your cheeseburger bites with.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Burger Bites Serving Size: 1 Burger Bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 1.3gCarbohydrates: 2.3gProtein: 6.8g
Thursday 4th of May 2023
These are absolutely amazing and a great meal prep. Thank you for a fantastic recipe.
Monday 17th of April 2023
Just made these for the first time. I used ground chicken and omitted the pickles but used some pickle juice instead. These are absolutely delicious!
Sunday 16th of April 2023
I just found this recipe! This is week 2 of making it and I’m in love! I use a venison/beef mix and it tastes like a cheap McDonald’s cheeseburger! Thank you!
Monday 27th of February 2023
Is there any sugar in this recipe?
Tuesday 28th of February 2023
There will be some small amounts of sugar in ingredients like the breadcrumbs and condiments.
Thursday 15th of December 2022
My husband hates cheese. If I leave the cheese out does anything else need to be adjusted?
Saturday 17th of December 2022
I wouldn't recommend these without the cheese.