This cheesy air fryer potatoes recipe combines crispy potato bits with a low fat creamy cheddar cheese sauce. Don’t worry, it’s a simple 2-ingredient cheese sauce that requires zero cooking.
In fact, this recipe is so easy I almost feel silly writing an entire post!
Recipe Notes for Cheesy Air Fryer Potatoes
The recipe calls for mini potatoes, and I used a blend of honey gold and ruby potatoes from Sam’s Club (see photo below). I used these same potatoes to make my air fried rosemary parmesan potatoes, too!
While you don’t have to use these exact potatoes, you’ll want to use a smaller potato that’s on the soft and waxy end of the spectrum.
For example, baby Yukon gold potatoes like I used in my Mexican air fryer potatoes and cheeseburger soup recipe would be great while a white russet potato from my copycat Wingstop fries might cook a bit differently due to its higher starch content.
These are also much easier to slice raw!
Seasoning the Air Fryer Potatoes
Once you’ve sorted your potato situation, all you’ll need to do is lightly oil and season the potatoes. The recipe calls for a tablespoon of oil which is a small amount for the number of potatoes used. My air fryer carrot fries, for example, use a tablespoon for about a fourth the volume.
I opted for less oil to keep the fat content under control since the cheese sauce will slightly take away from even extra crispy potatoes no matter what. That said, you could definitely up the oil a bit if you wanted even crispier potatoes.
You could also add some grated parmesan like in the carrot fries recipe for extra extra crisp potatoes.
I used the air crisp function on a 6.5-quart Ninja Foodi for these air fryer potatoes. I’ve found it to have similar cook times to my previous 5.8-quart air fryer.
But every air fryer is different, so you may need to adjust cook times accordingly.
Side note: A Ninja Foodi is an all-in-one air fyrer, pressure cooker, slow cooker, and more. You can check it out along with all the other kitchen equipment I use on my Amazon list.
Making the Cheese Sauce
The only ingredient that may be out of the ordinary in this recipe is the cheddar powder. If you’re unfamiliar, cheddar powder is essentially dehydrated cheddar cheese that can be used as a dry seasoning or reconstituted into sauces or dips like in my baked beef tacos recipe. It’s similar to powdered peanut putter if you’ve used that.
You may be able to find it in stores (or in boxed mac and cheese or cheese sauce mixes), but I find it’s easiest to order online. I like Anthony’s Goods cheddar powder and have included it on the same Amazon list I mentioned above.
If you want to skip the cheddar powder, you can use nutritional yeast mixed with some spices like I used in my air fryer potato chips recipe. Or skip the Greek yogurt altogether and use a jarred queso like I used in my chicken fajita pasta bake. If you go with the latter, swap it out gram for gram, about 120-150 grams.
Okay, I think that’s it for recipe and ingredient notes. If you have a question about these cheesy air fryer potatoes, leave a comment below or join my Facebook group with nearly 15,000 other healthy home cooks that will help you out! And if you want more air fried potatoes, check out my Ultimate Air Fryer Potatoes Recipe Guide.
For the Air Fried Potatoes
- 20 (550g) Mini Potatoes, quartered
- 1 Tbsp (16g) Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
For the Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 C (113g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 C (28g) Cheddar Powder
- 1-2 pinches Chopped Parsley, optional
- Cut each one of the potatoes into 4 pieces and add to a large bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Air fry the potatoes at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, shaking halfway through. (Every air fryer is a bit different so keep an eye on them to avoid burning.)
- Mix the Greek yogurt, cheddar powder, and parsley together in the large bowl the potatoes were in.
- Add the cooked potatoes back to the bowl with the cheese sauce and toss/stir until the potatoes are evenly coated in the cheese sauce. Top with additional chopped parsley, black pepper, or your choice of fixins. Enjoy!
Each serving of cheesy potatoes has 5 Smart Points.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 6gCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 8g
More Potato Recipes You Might Like
- Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Easy Air Fryer Greek Potatoes
- Cheesy Hash Brown Muffins
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Loaded Air Fryer Chicken and Potatoes