Spicy Tomato Beef Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
This spicy tomato beef soup transforms canned tomato soup into a high protein soup that’s jam packed with flavor. It’s souper easy to make, highly customizable, and perfect for meal prep.
How to Make Spicy Tomato Beef Soup
Seriously, it doesn’t get much easier than this. I’ll briefly run through the ingredients in each step and give you a few notes about modifications.
For the base of this ground beef soup:
- 2 pounds of extra lean ground beef (Walmart and HEB carry 96/4)
- onion, garlic, and jalapeño
- salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
That’s it. Throw everything in a pot to fully cook the beef. All the flavor from the vegetables and spices will cook right into the beef.
A spicy note: The recipe calls for 2 jalapeño peppers with seeds in. But if you’re sensitive to spice, you might start with 1 de-seeded jalapeño. And if you’re reading this note after the fact, adding a dollop of Greek yogurt is a fantastic way to reduce the spiciness.
For the tomato soup portion of the recipe:
- 2 cans of condensed tomato soup
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
Feel free to adjust the ratios here. The recipe as-is makes a thinner tomato soup that’s probably closer to taco soup or hamburger soup than creamy tomato bisque.
If you’d like a creamier tomato beef soup, you could reduce or skip the broth, swap the crushed tomatoes for another can of tomato soup, or use condensed tomato soup only.
Note: Another option to make this spicy tomato beef soup creamier would be the addition of creamy ingredients. My Creamy Taco Soup, for instance, adds fat free cream cheese and Greek yogurt at the end of cooking. Needless to say, it’s one of my most popular recipes.
The cornbread you see with this tomato beef soup in photos is my lower carb bacon cheddar cornbread. I highly recommend trying that!
Other serving options include:
- shredded cheddar
- high protein pasta shells like I used in my breakfast mac and cheese
- fresh parsley
- Shrewd Food makes amazing protein croutons (I have them on my Amazon list if you’re interested)
- tortilla strips from my Frito chili pies
That’s a wrap.
Be sure to let me know what you think about this tomato beef soup by coming back to drop a comment on this post, snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram, or joining my free Facebook group. Hope ya love it!
Spicy Tomato Beef Soup
Spicy ground beef and vegetables mixed with crushed tomatoes and canned tomato soup for a quick and easy prep.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef I used 96/4 from HEB
- 1 small (150g) Sweet Onion diced
- 4 cloves (20g) Garlic peeled and minced
- 2 large (75g) Jalapeño Peppers* diced (de-seed to spice preference)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 C (240ml) Beef Broth
- 2 cans (10.75oz) Condensed Tomato Soup
- 15 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
Add the ground beef, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and dry spices to a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook until no pink remains in the beef, about 8-10 minutes.
Add the beef broth, tomato soup, and crushed tomatoes to the pot, stirring well. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Each serving has 3 Smart Points.
- If you make ingredient modification and need updated nutrition info, you can use my food scale guide to see how I calculate macros and serving sizes for large batch recipes like this tomato beef soup.
*For the spice sensitive, use 1 de-seeded jalapeño pepper.