This spin on healthy breakfast tacos packs sautéed pepper and onion, crispy bacon, eggs, and cheese into crispy corn tortillas. They’re baked in the oven so you can easily double or triple the recipe for breakfast tacos in bulk.
There are lots of ways to modify these breakfast tacos, but the base recipe makes tacos with 115 calories and 3 Smart Points each. Now having a quick, macro friendly breakfast doesn’t have to cost you tons of time in the kitchen.
How to Make Healthy Breakfast Tacos in Bulk
If you’ve tried my baked chicken tacos or cheesy beef oven baked tacos, these breakfast tacos use the same method of filling extra thin corn tortillas and baking. In case you’re wondering, you can make them in an air fryer or in a pan (like a quesadilla). I just prefer the oven for making a beaucoup of breakfast tacos in one clean sweep.
You can stuff these bad boys with whatever you’d like, but I went with peppers, onions, bacon, eggs, and cheese. Can’t argue with that combo, right?
To make the filling, all you’ll need to do is fry some bacon, sauté the peppers and onions in the bacon grease, scramble a few eggs, and add cheese. If you wanted to change up the filling, check out my chorizo and potato breakfast quesadillas. That filling would work great in these breakfast tacos.
That’s it. Fill, fold, and bake.
Don’t forget to microwave the tortillas before folding! Even if you’re using another method, folding makes them more malleable and resistant to breaking during baking.
If you notice any tearing in the bottom around the fold, you need to microwave the tortillas for another 15-30 seconds.
A common question about these breakfast tacos has been about the eggs. The recipe calls for a combination of whole eggs and egg whites to both reduce the fat and calorie count and demonstrate that you can go one way or the other.
You could easily replace the egg whites with a whole egg or the other two eggs for an additional six tablespoons (bringing it to 3/4 cup) of egg whites.
Other ways to reduce the calories and fat content of your breakfast tacos:
- reduced fat or fat free cheese (though I wouldn’t remove the cheese entirely as it will seal the tacos during baking)
- lower fat bacon or omit the bacon out altogether (use nonstick spray for the veggies)
- egg whites instead of whole eggs
How to Make the Creamy Avocado Sauce
One of my favorite ingredients for just about any dish is fat free Greek yogurt. I’ve used it for zesty ranch sauce in my Cheesy Gordita Crunch recipe, creamy salsa for my sweet potato nachos, sweet chili lime sauce for my air fryer sweet potato fries, and now a creamy avocado sauce for breakfast tacos.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup (113g) fat free Greek yogurt
- 100g avocado
- 1/4 tsp crushed chipotle pepper (or your choice of dried pepper)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
You can get creative with the spices to match your flavor preference and taco filling.
Final Notes for Breakfast Tacos
The recipe card below makes 8 tacos. You can fit about 16 tacos on a large wire rack so if you wanted to double or triple the recipe for breakfast tacos in bulk, you’ll need multiple racks or baking sheets to put them on.
If you bake the breakfast tacos directly on a baking sheet, you may have to extend the bake time to get them crispy. You can also remove the top baking sheet after a few minutes in the oven once the tacos have sealed with the melted cheese.
To reheat your breakfast tacos, use an oven or air fryer at the same temperature for about 3-5 minutes. The microwave will get the job done, but the tacos won’t be very crisp with this method.
And if you need a pairing idea, check out my breakfast potatoes with peppers recipe.
- 4 slices Center Cut Bacon
- 1/2 medium (100g) Sweet Onion, diced
- 1 large (150g) Bell Pepper, diced (I used half a red and green)
- 2 large Eggs
- 6 Tbsp (92g) Liquid Egg Whites
- 1/2 C (56g) Freshly Shredded Colby Jack Cheese, or pepper jack
- 8 Extra Thin Corn Tortillas, I used Mission
- Preheat oven to 400F and spray a wire rack or baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to a large pan over medium-high heat. Prepare the onion and pepper while the bacon cooks.
- Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel, leaving the grease in the pan. Carefully add the bell pepper, onion, and black pepper to the pan. Cook until the veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and scramble. Cook until the eggs thicken and remove from the heat.
- Add the cooked bacon pieces and cheese to the egg scramble and stir everything together to melt the cheese.
- Wrap the tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds, flipping halfway through. This will make the tortillas easier to fold. Place the warmed tortillas on a large wire rack or baking sheet. Spoon the egg mixture on one half of each tortilla and fold in half. (If you have trouble folding or the tortillas crack when folding, heat them a bit longer.)
- Spray the tops of the tacos with a bit of cooking spray and place a second baking sheet on top to hold them closed during baking.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tacos are golden brown and crisp. (If you’re having trouble getting them crisp, remove the second baking sheet towards the end of cooking since the tacos will be sealed by then.)
Each taco has 3 WW SmartPoints (blue).
If you bake the breakfast tacos between two baking sheets instead of a wire rack with a baking sheet on top, you may need to extend the cook time.
For the creamy avocado dipping sauce:
- 1/2 C (113g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 100g Avocado
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Chipotle Pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Kosher Salt, to taste (You can play around with spices based on your flavor preference.)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Tacos Serving Size: 1 Taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 5gCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 7g