The chances are slim but if you’re in search of recipes high in vitamin A, this slow cooker sweet potato chili should end all searches. It’s loaded with beta carotene thanks to the obvious sweet potatoes and the not so obvious pumpkin. That’s right, this chipotle chicken chili is perfectly spicy, savory, and thanks to the pumpkin, thick and creamy.
Like nearly all my recipes, this slow cooker chili is super easy to make. With a 5-10 minute prep time, you’ll have the chili cookin’ and kitchen cleaned in no time.
As you can see, this sweet potato chili is extra macro friendly with only 260 calories per serving. And in case you’re wondering, one serving is a giant 1 1/4 cup or 350 grams. That’s a ton of food!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
Like I said, this chipotle chicken chili is crazy simple. Other than cubing the potatoes and chicken, you’ll only need to open cans and add spices to the crockpot. And you can even use pre chopped potatoes to cut down on prep work.
Here’s the short list of ingredients you’ll need (spices not included):
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 pounds of chicken breast
- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 1 can of diced green chiles
- 1 can of chipotle salsa
- 1 can of beans
Spices for Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Chili
The recipe calls for a handful of spices but if you’re a minimal cook with a minimal kitchen, you could get away with using a pre mixed chili seasoning. Though I’ll point out the combo I used is on the mild side. So, if you make changes, you might add half before cooking and season the rest after cooking as needed.
For this recipe, here are the spices you’ll need:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground mustard
- black peppers
Easy enough, right?
How to Serve Your Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Chili
I honestly don’t think you’ll need much. The chunks of sweet potato and beans provide a ton of texture in addition to the chicken. I did, however, make some tortilla strips like I used in my healthy Frito pie recipe.
To make these, simply cut extra thin corn or flour tortillas into strips, spray with a bit of cooking spray and sprinkle with salt, and bake or air fry for 5-7 minutes at around 400 degrees.
Other toppings for your sweet potato chili might include:
- fat free Greek yogurt (in place of something like sour cream)
- reduced fat shredded cheese
- sliced avocado
- freshly diced tomatoes or onion
- other sliced peppers
If you find the chipotle adds a bit more heat than you’d like to the chili, the cheese and yogurt (or comparable foods) work wonders for reducing the spice. The creamy salsa (salsa + Greek yogurt) I used to top my sweet potato nachos, for example, takes that dish from spicy to almost mild if used liberally.
Instagram and Chill(i)
Sharing definitely helps my efforts as a blogger. If you try this slow cooker sweet potato chili, I’d love to see it. Grab a photo and tag me on Instagram @mason_woodruff, join my free Facebook group and share it with the Proton Party, or click the Pinterest button to pin this recipe.
I appreciate it and hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cubed
- 4 medium (800g total) Sweet Potatoes , cubed
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Stewed Tomatoes
- 15 oz can Pumpkin
- 15 oz can Light Red Kidney Beans, or your choice of beans
- 8 oz can Chipotle Salsa, or chipotle peppers in adobo, blended (spicier)
- 7 oz can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Wash and cube the sweet potatoes before adding the a crockpot. You can also use precut or frozen roasting sweet potatoes.
- Cube the chicken and add it to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot and stir well.
- Cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or low for 7-8 hours. If you cook the chili on high, you may need to let it rest on the "keep warm" setting to fully soften the potatoes depending on the size of your sweet potato pieces. (Cut them smaller for faster cooking.)
- Each serving has 2 Smart Points.
- 1 serving = 1 1/4 C or 350 grams
- If you're using chipotle peppers in adobo instead of the chipotle salsa, run them through a food processor or blender before adding. Also, you may want to reduce the chili powder/black pepper and add a sprinkle or two of salt.
- Feel free to add/modify the spices in the recipe to fit your preference. If you like spicy, you may want to add more chili powder or a bit of paprika.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 servings Serving Size: 1 1/4 C (325g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 1gCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 26g
More Slow Cooker Recipes You Might Like
- slow cooker chicken fajitas
- Carolina BBQ crockpot shredded chicken
- crispy crockpot pineapple chipotle chicken
- honey chipotle crockpot pulled chicken