Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas: A Quick and Easy High Protein Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
If you’re new around here, you should know that I like to keep things simple. I realize that most people can’t or don’t want to spend hours on end in their kitchen each day. So, I aim to keep ingredient lists short and meal prep times even shorter. These slow cooker chicken fajitas, for example, have five ingredients and can be prepped in under five minutes. And with 38g of protein and 9g of fiber per serving, it’s safe to say this recipe is fitness friendly.
You’ll find the full list of ingredients and ideas for pairings below but if you’re a visual learner, here’s a video walkthrough.
I imagine you have a crock pot or slow cooker if you’re reading this but if not, I like this one for under $30.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
With only five ingredients, I don’t have many ingredient notes for you today. Instead, I’ll briefly touch on pairings for your slow cooker chicken fajitas. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Baked Tostitos Scoops or Lower Calorie Tortilla Chips (pictured below)
- 7 Fried Cauliflower Rice Recipes (to add even more volume)
- Pan Roasted Corn & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Lower Carb Tortillas for Burritos, Quesadillas, etc. (check out these cheeseburger quesadillas for inspiration)
- Fat-Free or Reduced Fat Cheese, Sour Cream, or Greek Yogurt
- Guacamole, Salsa, Hot Sauce
- You could even create some layer nachos like these.
What you add to the fajitas themselves should be based on your goals and calorie allowance. If you’re a smaller individual with a calorie maintenance of 1,200 calories/day, you may want to go for something like the cauliflower rice and salsa to keep the meal under 400-500 calories. If you have more room to work with, you could try nachos or burritos with extra cheese, sour cream, and/or guacamole. With the recipes very low fat content, you can afford to add a few things within moderation.
Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
The easiest slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe you'll come across.
- 3 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 15 oz can Black Beans drained
- 15 oz can Pinto Beans drained
- 1 can Rotel
- 12 oz bag Frozen Onion and Pepper Blend or 12-ounces of freshly sliced
- 1 packet Fajita or Taco Seasoning
Add all ingredients to a crockpot. (If you'd like more liquid, almost like a soup, don't drain the beans and add an extra can of Rotel or stewed tomatoes.)
Cook on low for 7-8 hours. (If you're using an Instant Pot, cook for 20 minutes on manual and quick release pressure.)
When the chicken is cooked through, turn off heat and shred chicken with forks.
- Serving size may vary based on whether you drain the beans, frozen vs fresh veggies, and other ingredient differences. To find accurate macros and serving sizes, weigh the total recipe after cooking and divide by however many servings you'd like. OR measure the weight of one serving (say, 1/2 C) and divide the total weight by that to know how many 1/2 C servings you have. Then it's as simple as dividing the total macros by the number of servings.
- For an alternative to the store bought fajita seasoning, check out my homemade chorizo seasoning.
Now that you have your main course taken care of, you’ll need dessert, right? Grab a copy of my free cookbook for chocolate lovers. You’ll find nearly 30 of my most popular high protein chocolate recipes inside. Grab it here or enter your info below to have a copy sent to your email.