Our healthier spin on layer dip pairs our homemade refried black beans with a light sour cream and nonfat Greek yogurt layer, lite Mexican cheese, guacamole, and some tried and true fixin’s on top. Serve this dip with our low calorie tortilla chips for a guilt-free appetizer at your next Kinda Healthy hootenanny.
This is a super simple recipe. You’ll find a few ingredient notes in the post below, and the full recipe card below that if you want to jump ahead.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Kinda Healthy Layer Dip Ingredient Notes
While you can make this dip with entirely store-bought ingredients, it’s never a bad idea to make your own components. It almost always leads to a healthier, more flavorful final product.
I linked our refried black beans recipe in the card below. Here’s a handful of other options for the different layers of your dip:
- Classic Guacamole or a fun spin with this Pomegranate and Pepitas Guacamole
- Fresh Pico de Gallo or mix it up with a homemade salsa
- you can swap the dry spices for taco seasoning and the yogurt for fat free cream cheese for an extra creamy dip like in this taco dip
And if you’re planning to serve your dip right away, you might be interested in incorporating actual taco meat. If so, my Instant Pot ground turkey taco meat is some of the most flavorful meat you’ll come across. The beef from my oven baked tacos also has a surplus of diggity.
If you have any ingredient or recipe questions, I’d be happy to help you out. Drop a comment at the bottom of this post. Otherwise, enjoy your Kinda Healthy layer dip!
- 1 C (240g) Light Sour Cream*
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro
- 1 C (227g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 2 C (520g) Refried Black Beans**
- 1 1/2 C (360g) Guacamole
- 4 oz Shredded Cheese
- 2 Tbsp (32g) Sliced Black Olives
- 1/2 C (120g) Pico de Gallo
- 1-2 Tbsp (7-14g) Queso Fresco (optional)
- Mix the sour cream with the spices and cilantro before gently folding in the Greek yogurt.
- In a large dish, add the black beans, sour cream and yogurt mixture, shredded cheese, guacamole, pico, black olives, and optional queso fresco, in that order.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. Feel free to mix up the topping selection.
*To increase the protein content, you can use 2 cups of Greek yogurt and omit the sour cream. Mix the spices in a large bowl before adding a small amount of Greek yogurt. You want to avoid over mixing the Greek yogurt as it can cause water to separate and create a runny dip.
**You can use the linked recipe for my refried black beans or use any refried beans.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Servings Serving Size: 3/4 C (about 200g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 12gCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 15g