Tropical Protein Milkshake
This 5-ingredient protein milkshake combines pan toasted coconut flakes, mango and pineapple, and vanilla protein powder for a deliciously creamy shake with 26 grams of protein. Whether you need a post-workout drink or something to cool off on a hot summer day, this shake is the move.
How to Make This Tropical Protein Milkshake
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- unsweetened almond milk
- vanilla protein powder
- sweetened coconut flakes (unsweetened works fine)
- frozen pineapple chunks
- frozen mango chunks
To get started, add the coconut flakes to a small pan over medium heat. Let them brown as you prep the rest of your protein milkshake ingredients but keep an eye on them to avoid burning.
Give them a stir or shake in the pan a few times for even toasting. If you’re using sweetened coconut flakes, toasting over medium heat should take about 2 minutes. Unsweetened may take a minute longer since the sugar browns a bit faster in sweetened.
For the other ingredients, simply add them to a blender or food processor before adding the toasted coconut.
I recommend adding the milk last so you can tweak the amount to your liking. Less milk gives a thicker consistency like protein ice cream while more will give you a thinner milkshake consistency. Start on the lower end and add as needed to get your perfect ratio nailed down.
Different protein powders will affect the amount of milk as well. A casein or plant based powder will likely require more milk than a whey protein.
Final Protein Milkshake Ingredient Notes
Feel free to use any milk you’d like. Full fat milk will make your protein milkshake even creamier, and a skim milk will provide additional protein and a bit more natural sweetness from the lactose.
For the fruit, you can use fresh fruit but you’ll want to freeze them first. Otherwise, you’ll have a tropical protein smoothie instead of that ice cream-ish goodness.
- 1 scoop (28g) Whey Protein Powder, vanilla
- 1/2 C (70g) Frozen Mango Chunks
- 1/2 C (70g) Frozen Pineapple Chunks
- 2 Tbsp (15g) Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 3/4 C (180mL) Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Throw the coconut flakes in a small pan over high heat for a few minutes, stirring often, until golden brown. (You can skip this step but toasting changes the flavor and creates a bit of texture even after blending.)
- Add the protein, milk, 3/4 of the toasted coconut, and fruit to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with whipped topping and remaining toasted coconut. Enjoy!
- 1 protein milkshake has 6 Smart Points.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Milkshake Serving Size: 1 Milkshake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288Total Fat: 7gCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 26g