Whether you’re wondering how to make oven baked boneless skinless chicken thighs or in search of something to make in your new Dutch oven, this BBQ shredded chicken is the answer you’re looking for. Prep is as simple as it gets, with everything coming together right in one pot.
This recipe makes a huge batch of shredded BBQ chicken that’s perfect for feeding a crowd or making fun meals all week long. Some of our favorites include BBQ chicken nachos, quesadillas, stuffed baked potatoes, BBQ sliders, pizza, mac and cheese, and more.
However you end up serving your Dutch oven shredded chicken, I’d love to hear about it. Let me know in a comment or recipe review below or on your favorite social media platform.
How to Make Pulled Chicken in a Dutch Oven (Video)
If you have a question about making BBQ baked chicken thighs, you can leave it in the comments at the bottom of this post. I’d be happy to help!
Dutch Oven Shredded Chicken
Tender, crispy shredded chicken baked in a Dutch oven with a homemade sweet and tangy BBQ sauce.
- 1/2 cup (96g) Dark Brown Sugar*
- 2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce**
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and mix all the ingredients up to the chicken thighs together in a 5.5-quart Dutch oven. Once mixed, add the chicken and mix to evenly coat in the sauce.
- Cover and bake for 40-50 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and fall-apart tender. (For chicken breast, only cook to 165ºF before removing and shredding. A little extra time beyond 165ºF with chicken thighs tends to make the chicken more tender.)
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl to shred before returning back to the sauce. Optional: Add a corn starch slurry (about 1 Tbsp corn starch and 2 Tbsp water) to thicken the remaining juices before adding the chicken back to the pot.
- For crispy chicken, place the shredded chicken, uncovered, on the bottom rack and broil for 6-10 minutes. Make sure your Dutch oven is heat safe up to 550ºF+.
*You could use Swerve Brown Sugar or a 1:1 brown sugar substitute to reduce the carbs and calories.
** Soy Sauce, Black Vinegar, or Apple Cider Vinegar would all work as substitutes.
Don't have a Dutch oven? Make slow cooker BBQ chicken or Instant Pot BBQ Chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: about 4 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 9gCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 22g
Saturday 11th of March 2023
I want to make this for a crowd (about 20 people). Can I just double the recipe and put it in an oven roasting pan? I would seal ot with foil and put the lid on it as well.
Monday 13th of March 2023
That should work just fine. Have fun and hope everyone enjoys!
Thursday 16th of February 2023
Hi! Do you have a Dutch oven that you recommend?
Friday 17th of February 2023
I use and love a 5.5-quart Dutch oven from Made In. It's an investment. But for what it's worth, it's about half the price of comparable (in my opinion) Le Creuset or Staub Dutch Ovens.