Shake up your next Taco Tuesday with these chipotle BBQ ground chicken tacos! We’re looking at chipotle seasoned ground chicken cooked with bbq sauce and lime juice paired with an easy homemade mango salsa on charred flour tortillas. These tacos are kinda healthy with 17 grams of protein and just 14 grams of carbs each.
It’s a super simple recipe, but I’ll walk you through ingredient notes and give tips on how to dice a mango and char tortillas at home below. You’ll find the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but you already knew that. Let’s get it!
Step 1: Cook ground chicken and season with ground chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.
The spice level as-written is on the lower end. You could certainly up the chipotle chili powder if you want to crank the heat.
Step 2: Add chicken broth, BBQ sauce, and lime juice. Continue cooking until no liquid remains.
If you’ve tried my spicy coconut ground chicken, this is the same process. Just add the liquid and reduce until thick.
In the recipe notes, I mention I used sugar free G Hughes BBQ sauce. If you have trouble finding it, I also love Stubb’s for a lower sugar, lower calorie BBQ sauce. That’s what I used for my sticky sweet ground beef and broccoli and sriracha BBQ ground beef with green beans recipes. And my bbq chicken meatballs call for Trader Joe’s sriracha and roasted garlic BBQ sauce, which I love.
Step 3: Make fresh mango salsa.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- red onion
- bell pepper
- lime juice
Mangos can be tricky to work with. So you won’t catch any judgement from me if you want to buy mango salsa or pre-diced mango! Or if you wanted to switch things up just slightly, use pineapple like I did in my jerk pork tenderloin tacos recipe.
How to Dice a Mango
I’ll let Alton Brown teach you his method. The only modification you’ll need to make is going with a smaller dice at the end.
I find leaving the skin on in two spots like he mentions is unnecessary, but it doesn’t hurt if you’re getting a feel for things!
How to Char Tortillas for Your Ground Chicken Tacos
The easiest method is placing tortillas directly over a low burner if you have a gas stove. Use tongs to flip each tortilla a few times until charred. If you have an electric stove, you’ll need to use a pan or griddle. Check out the video tutorial in my air fryer chicken tacos recipe for an example.
That should cover it. If you’re looking for more ways to use the chipotle bbq ground chicken, you could always make quesadillas. Check out my chicken bacon ranch quesadillas or cheesy black bean and corn quesadillas for inspiration. And if you need a side dish, you do cilantro lime cauliflower rice or use the cilantro lime Right Rice I used in my ground chicken and rice enchiladas.
If you have a recipe question I missed, leave a comment and I’ll help ya out. Otherwise, enjoy your ground chicken tacos. Bone apple tea!
For the Chipotle BBQ Ground Chicken
- 1 lb Ground Chicken (92% Lean)
- 1 Tbsp Ground Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 C (120g) BBQ Sauce*
- 1/2 C (120g) Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Lime Juice (about 1 small lime)
- Tortillas for serving
For the Mango Salsa
- 1 Mango, small diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 Red Onion, diced
- 1/4 C (60g) Lime Juice (about 2 small limes)
- 1 handful Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2-1 tsp Kosher Salt, to taste
- Cook the ground chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chipotle and garlic powder, salt, and pepper towards the end of cooking.
- Add the chicken broth, bbq sauce, and lime juice to the chicken and continue cooking until the mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- For the mango salsa, mix everything together in a large bowl.
- For slightly charred tortillas, place the tortillas directly over a low flame on a gas stovetop or on a griddle over medium heat.
*I used G Hughes Honey BBQ sauce.
Nutrition Information Notes
- Nutrition facts are for chipotle bbq ground chicken only. Add the meat to your choice of tortillas.
- A rough estimate of the nutrition facts for the mango salsa: 140 calories, 2g protein, 34g carbs, and 1g fat
- Each 3-ounce serving of ground chicken has 2 WW SmartPoints (blue plan).
- 1 taco on a 6" Mission Carb Balance tortilla with a tablespoon of salsa has roughly 160 calories, 17g protein, 16g carbs, 7g fat, and 4 WW SmartPoints (blue plan).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Servings Serving Size: 3 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 5gCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 13g