If you’re looking for a simple air fryer chicken and veggies combo, you’re in the right place. This chili garlic air fryer chicken and broccoli only takes 20-30 minutes and is packed with big flavors and just the right amount of heat. And every serving has 29 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs, and 8 grams of fat, making it great for healthy weeknight dinners or meal prep.
Ingredients for Chili Garlic Chicken and Broccoli
You can split this recipe into three components—the broccoli, chicken, and sauce for glazing. Here’s what you’ll need for each.
- 12 oz Broccoli Florets
- 1 tablespoon of Olive, Avocado, or Chili Oil (for spice lovers)
- 1 teaspoon each of Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Garlic Powder
Other cruciferous veggies like cauliflower and brussels sprouts would work great if you wanted to get creative with seasoning blends and different flavor profiles. Though the cook time on something like brussels sprouts may need to be extended.
The Spicy Chicken Breast Bites
- 1 pound of Diced Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon of Chili Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Ground Ginger
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
If you’d like to take a shortcut, you could use sweet chili sauce like my air fryer sweet chili chicken meatballs and air fryer sweet chili chicken and brussels sprouts recipes. You could also play around with other sauces like the Bachan’s Japanese barbecue I used to make BBQ chicken fried cauliflower rice.
Two Ways to Cook Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli
In the recipe video below, you’ll see I used an Instant Pot Vortex Pro with two separate racks or baskets to cook the chicken and broccoli separate. If you’re a long time Kinda Healthy Recipes reader, this is a shift from my typical single-basket Ninja Foodi and Instant Pot air fryer recipes.
But have no fear, you can make this chili garlic chicken and broccoli in any air fryer!
If you’re using a single-basket air fryer, simply air fry the seasoned broccoli on its own before removing and air frying the chicken. Unlike some of my other air fryer chicken and veggies recipes like cajun chicken and vegetables, the broccoli doesn’t hold up when air fried together with the chicken. It releases too much moisture, which prevents anything from getting crispy and charred.
The takeaway: For best results with a single-basket air fryer, cook the broccoli and chicken separately before tossing together and serving.
How to Serve Air Fried Chicken and Broccoli
Toasted sesame seeds are the perfect garnish, as well as a little extra honey and chili garlic sauce. The chili garlic crisp from my ground chicken and broccoli also works perfectly here.
For pairings, keep it simple with rice, cauliflower rice, or a blend of the two. I’m also a fan of the pre-seasoned cauliflower stir-fry options like the one from Trader Joe’s. (I’ve even made air fried cauliflower rice stir fry with it.)
That should cover it. If you have a question about the recipe or potential ingredient substitutions, leave a comment at the bottom of this post. And if you try this healthy air fryer recipe and love it, I always appreciate recipe reviews!
For the Broccoli
- 12 oz Broccoli Florets
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
For the Chicken
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) Chili Garlic Sauce plus 1 Tablespoon (21g) Honey, for glazing
- Toss the broccoli in the oil before seasoning with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Toss the chicken in the chili oil before seasoning with the ground ginger and stirring to evenly coat.
- If you have an air fryer with separate racks, place the broccoli on one with the chicken on another rack on top. Air fry for 4-5 minutes at 400ºF until the chicken is 150ºF to 160ºF before brushing on a mixture of the chili garlic and honey and air frying another 2 minutes at 400ºF to caramelize the sauce and finish cooking the chicken to 165ºF.* (You can also use the broil function if your air fryer has one.)
- If you have a single basket air fryer, cook the broccoli on its own for 5-6 minutes at 400ºF before setting aside and cooking the chicken. You can toss together or reheat the broccoli on its own in the air fryer for a minute, if needed.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice or cauliflower rice and extra chili garlic sauce and honey, if desired.
*For the two rack air fryer, I used an Instant Pot Vortex Pro. The single basket air fryer cook times are with a 6.5-quart Ninja Foodi. Cook times may vary so go by the internal temperature of your chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: about 3 oz chicken with 2 oz broccoli
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 8gCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 29g