The Easiest Low Carb Lasagna
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales. Click here to read my full disclosure.
It’s official, this low carb lasagna has earned an automatic top 3 ranking on my blog. It’s seriously amazing, and that doesn’t even take its nutrition facts into account.
When you add those into the equation, you could definitely make the case for a number one ranking. Each serving has a whopping 37 grams of protein with just 12 grams of carbs, 325 calories, and 6 SmartPoints.
And as a final gust of hot air, the meat sauce in this recipe could be used for all kinds of healthy pasta dishes. So let’s get to it.
Low Carb Lasagna Ingredients
This low carb lasagna recipe is seriously simple. You’ll spend most of your time making the meat sauce but other than that, you’ll only need four ingredients.
- my best lasagna meat sauce
- fresh Italian parsley
- Palmini lasagna noodles
For the meat sauce, you could always use your own lasagna meat sauce recipe or a ready-made meat sauce to shorten the steps. But I’d highly encourage you to try mine.
There’s beef, bacon, tons of veggies, and all kinds of flavor! More on this in a second.
The Easiest Low Carb Lasagna Noodles: Palmini Pasta
If you’re unfamiliar with Palmini pasta, they make low carb pasta out of hearts of palm. I’ve used their linguine noodles for recipes like my Kung Pao Shrimp Noodles, Low Carb Pasta Carbonara, and 5-Spice Ground Beef Stir Fry.
This is my first time trying their new lasagna, and I’m pleased to say it’s fantastic. Similar to my review of their linguine, I’d put it somewhere between a zoodle and real pasta. It’s not as tender as the real deal, but the carbs you save are well worth it.
If you’re not short on carbs, feel free to use real oven-ready lasagna sheets like in my Tex-Mex Breakfast Lasagna.
The BEST Lasagna Meat Sauce
What makes this low carb lasagna really special, in my opinion, is the bolognese. It was inspired by J. Kenji López-Alt’s ultimate bolognese in his cookbook, The Food Lab. He’s an absolute genius in the kitchen with a great YouTube channel as well.
For my spin, I made a thicker meat sauce, shortened up the ingredient list a bit, and used lower calorie ingredients where applicable. I also reduced the required cook time so you can get your low carb lasagna in the oven in about 25-30 minutes.
The finished product is a super flavorful and rich meat sauce that’s perfect for lasagna.
I always like to add that you can customize my recipes. But if you can, follow the meat sauce recipe as-is. You’ll thank me later!
If you’d like a quicker recipe, you could pair this bolognese with fresh pasta like my fettuccine bolognese recipe.
Final Recipe Notes for Low Carb Lasagna
Other than the meat sauce and using different lasagna noodles, there aren’t a ton of customizations to be made here. You can play around with the amount or type of cheese used, or you could even made your own béchamel sauce for a creamier lasagna.
As you can see in the photos, I prefer a thicker sauce so you’re not scooping soupy sauce out of the bottom. If you’d like your low carb lasagna saucier, that’s an easy fix. Simply add an extra can of crushed tomatoes to the sauce and voila—extra saucy lasagna.
I’ve included the nutrition info for the meat sauce alone in the recipe card’s notes section below. That way, you can easily adjust your own nutrition facts should you choose to use a different type of lasagna noodle or cheese.
Okay, that’s plenty of knowledge layers. If you have a question I glossed over, drop a comment below. And I’d love it if you let me know what you think about this low carb lasagna.
For the Meat Sauce
- 2 lbs Ground Beef, I used 96/4 from HEB
- 6 slices Center Cut Bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium (200g) Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 medium (150g) Carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 4 cloves (20g) Garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Red Wine Vinegar, or your choice of vinegar
- 15 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper, optional
- 1 Tbsp (15g) Fish Sauce, optional
- 2 Bay Leaves, optional
For the Lasagna
- 2 cans (14 oz) Palmini Pasta Lasagna Sheets*, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 C (168g) Shredded Mozzarella
- 3/4 C (84g) Shredded Parmesan, divided
- 2 handfuls Fresh Italian Parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
To Make the Meat Sauce
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until no pink remains.
- While the beef cooks, prepare the vegetables and bacon.
- Add the bacon to a second skillet (stainless steel if possible) over medium-high heat and fully cook. Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the grease behind.
- Carefully add the vinegar to deglaze the pan (remove any stuck bits on the bottom) before adding the onions, carrots, and garlic. Stirring often, cook until the onions and carrots soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and remaining meat sauce ingredients, stirring everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken before adding the cooked beef.
- Reduce to a medium-low heat and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes before assembling the lasagna.
Assembling the Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove the bay leaves from the meat sauce and add about 1/5th of the meat sauce to the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.
- Place the lasagna sheets on top of the meat sauce.
- Top the lasagna sheets with a second layer of meat sauce, about 1/2 cup mozzarella, a small amount of parmesan (reserve 1/4 cup of the 3/4 cup for the top layer), and a handful of chopped parsley. (I only added parsley in one layer and on top after baking.)
- Repeat this process until the baking dish is full. Top with remaining mozzarella and 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top and sides of the lasagna are golden brown.
- Let the lasagna cool before cutting to preserve its structure. Top with fresh parsley, freshly cracked black pepper, and any other toppings you'd like.
*If you'd like a softer texture, you can add the drained lasagna sheets to boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Slices Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 37g