The beauty of slow cooker chicken taco soup is its simplicity. Just throw a handful of ingredients in a pot and walk away. My version keeps it simple but adds a few tweaks to make a creamy chicken taco soup that’s packed with 10 grams of fiber, 23 grams of protein, and some bonus veggies.
Who says you can’t have easy and nutritious meals at the same time?
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
You’ll find a printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. If you have an ingredient substitution question, however, I’ll include all my ideas between here and there.
The Core Ingredients:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – Chicken breast works fine, but you need to be a bit more diligent about cooking time to not overcook and end up with tough chicken.
- Canned Black and Pinto Beans – Feel free to use any type of canned beans. I don’t drain beans to retain all the nutrients in the can. The liquid also helps thicken the soup, making it creamier.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – Go with Mexican style or tomatoes with diced green chiles or garlic if you can find it.
- Fire Roasted Corn (frozen) – I used the Trader Joe’s frozen corn from my cowboy caviar chicken dip. Drained corn from a can works fine as a substitute.
- Taco and Ranch Seasoning – Inspired by my famous high protein beef taco soup, this combo provides just the right amount of onion, garlic, and tangy buttermilk flavor.
- Chicken Broth or Water – Bone broth, while expensive, would be a great way to add more protein and micronutrients to your chicken taco soup.
The optional ingredients:
- Frozen Chopped Spinach – I love incorporating “hidden” or convenience veggies where I can. My famous taco soup incorporates frozen onions, peppers, broccoli, AND cauliflower, for example. And my highly reviewed taco chili uses a bit more inconspicuous chopped spinach. It’s a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet.
- Cream Cheese – You’ll find a note in the recipe card below about swapping cream cheese for chopped corn tortillas. The starch in the tortillas does a great job at thickening, but it’s hard to beat dairy if you want a truly creamy chicken soup. A high protein cream option is fat free Greek yogurt, but I recommend serving it with each individual bowl so it doesn’t curdle.
Final Thoughts on Making Taco Soup with Chicken
I used a 6.5-quart Ninja Foodi for slow cooking. Any slow cooker or crock pot will work, though cook times may vary slightly. Luckily, we’re all accustomed to cooking time ranges when slow cooking!
If you’re in a hurry and wanted to make this creamy chicken taco soup in a pressure cooker, my Mexican chicken soup has a similar amount of chicken and cooking liquid and cooks for 15 minutes on high pressure with a quick release. That’s another great chicken soup recipe, by the way! It has an awesome homemade spice blend and incorporates a beer (non-alcoholic or traditional cerveza) into the cooking liquid.
Okay, you should be ready to rock. Drop any questions you might have about the recipe in the comments at the bottom of this post. And don’t forget to come back and leave a recipe review if you love it!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
A high fiber, high protein soup with slow cooked pulled chicken, black and pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes and corn, a top secret seasoning combo, and cream cheese.
- 1 1/2 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 15-oz cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 15-oz can Black Beans
- 15-oz can Pinto Beans
- 1 1/3 cups (186g) Frozen Fire Roasted Corn (or canned)
- 2/3 cup (170g) Frozen Chopped Spinach (optional)
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Ranch Seasoning
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 oz Reduced Fat Cream Cheese, room temperature
- Add all the ingredients up to the cream cheese to a slow cooker.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 7-9 hours on low until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165oF and shred easily.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl and shred with two fork before adding back to the slow cooker.
- Add the cream cheese and stir to evenly incorporate. You may need to let it rest in the soup for 5-10 minutes to fully melt, especially if it's not room temperature.
- Serve with tortilla chips and garnish with cilantro, cotija cheese, and salsa macha, if desired.
You can use boneless skinless chicken breast to reduce the fat and calories.
You can also use fat free cream cheese or include chopped corn tortillas to thicken the soup and reduce the fat content. My white bean chicken soup is a great example.
Search "Mason Woodruff Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup" to log in MyFitnessPal.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 13 oz (about 1 1/2 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 10gCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 10gProtein: 23g