Chipotle Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
This ground turkey sweet potato skillet comes together in about 30 minutes and is packed with protein and filling fiber. The recipe makes 6 super sized servings, making it great for meal prep or feeding a crowd. I’ll walk you through the simple recipe below and give a few cooking tips and ingredient substitution notes as we go. If you’re feeling confident, feel free to hit the jump to recipe button above and get straight to it.
Step 1: Fully cook and crumble lean ground turkey.
If you’ve tried recipes like my Tex-Mex ground beef and rice skillet or chicken breakfast sausage, you’re aware I’m passionate about browning ground meats. In the off chance you’ve never read a rant of mine regarding the Maillard reaction, just know that adding ground meat to pan and stirring the entire time is a mistake. You’re missing out on all kinds of flavor development!
Instead, add the meat to the skillet and leave it alone for longer than you’d think. Wait for some browning to occur before flipping and doing the same on both sides. You’ll use the chipotle peppers and broth in later steps to deglaze the pan and get all the flavor-packed fond off the bottom of the pan.
Step 2: Add a seasoning blend, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, black beans, and broth.
For the seasoning blend, you’ll need garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, ground coriander, and salt. If you’ve yet to stock your spice cabinet with ground coriander, get on it. Then put my Mexican shredded chicken and air fried Mexican potatoes in the recipe queue.
If you’d like to blitz the seeds from the chipotle peppers, you could blend them with the seasoning blend and a little broth to make a paste like I did for my chipotle sweet potato nachos. And since you’ll have a few chipotle peppers leftover, you should grab an extra pound of turkey and make my Instant Pot ground turkey taco meat for cheesy grilled tacos.
Step 3: Add peeled and cubed sweet potatoes.
We’re not cooking for customers. Don’t worry about perfectly even sweet potatoes. Just get them in the pan!
Step 4: Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
The broth should be almost completely reduced and the sweet potatoes should be tender but not mushy. If you have a little liquid remaining, but the sweet potatoes are already quite soft, top with cheese and broil or add stir some cheese directly into the pan.
Step 5: Top the ground turkey and sweet potatoes with cheese and broil in the oven for 5 minutes.
The recipe calls for 3 ounces of cheese which is just enough to cover the entire skillet without adding too many calories. But feel free to go even cheesier.
Serve your ground turkey sweet potato skillet with fresh lime wedges, cilantro, and fat free Greek yogurt.
And that should cover it. If you have a question about this ground turkey sweet potato skillet I missed, leave a comment at the bottom of this post. Otherwise, get cooking!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (97/3)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 6-8 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, roughly chopped
- 2 C Beef or Chicken Broth
- 15 oz can Black Beans
- 1 1/2 lb Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 oz Shredded Cheese
- Fully cook the ground turkey in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat before adding the seasoning blend, chopped chipotle peppers, broth, and black beans. Stir well. (If you don't like the seeds from the chipotle peppers, blend them with the broth before adding.)
- Add the sweet potatoes, stirring everything together. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally and be careful to avoid over cooking and turning the potatoes to mush.
- Salt and pepper the finished skillet to taste.
- Optional: Top with cheese and broil in the oven for 4-6 minutes.
- Serve with fresh lime juice, cilantro, and fat free Greek yogurt.
Each serving has 6 WW SmartPoints (blue).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Servings Serving Size: 10 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 8gCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 27g