Chicken Sausage Cheese Balls
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales. Click here to read my full disclosure.
This spin on traditional sausage cheese balls uses ground chicken, a DIY biscuit mix, and freshly shredded cheddar cheese to create a much healthier finger food. Each one of these chicken sausage balls has 6 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of fat. So now you can double or triple up on your holiday snacking favorite!
How to Make Sausage Cheese Balls with Ground Chicken
This version combines two popular recipes from my blog—the chicken breakfast sausage and dry ingredients from my Greek yogurt biscuits. It’s super easy to make. Just throw everything in a mixer, give it a whirl, and form balls to bake.
Sausage cheese balls are traditionally made with Bisquick or biscuit mix so if you wanted to go that route, omit the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar substitute, and half the salt.
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can mix by hand with a spatula. But you may need to eventually get your hands involved to fully incorporate all the dry ingredients.
I’ve included some notes on making perfectly even sausage balls in the notes of the recipe card below. Since it’s a large batch, I eyeballed it and ended up with 26. You can divide the total nutrition information by the number of balls you make for updated numbers.
Once you’ve formed your sausage balls, all that’s left to do is bake ’em up!
Additional Chicken Sausage Balls Recipe Notes
I used 97% lean ground chicken, but you should be fine using fattier cuts of ground chicken like 92/8. And I would imagine something like ground turkey would work as well. I haven’t tested this with fattier meats like the traditional pork sausage, but my chorizo meatballs aren’t all that different and hold up just fine.
Okay, this is a simple recipe. I think you got this! If you have questions about these chicken sausage cheese balls, you can leave a comment below or join my Facebook group with 10,000+ other folks who’d be happy to help you out.
- 1 lb Ground Chicken (I used 97/3)
- 6 oz (168g) Freshly Shredded Cheddar
- 1 1/2 C (180g) All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp (24g) Swerve Granular (or a granulated sugar substitute)
- 2 Tbsp (24g) Swerve Brown (or a brown sugar substitute)
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sage
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl or stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add the ground chicken and cheese. Mix until little to no dry ingredients remain. Use a spatula or your hands to fully incorporate any remaining dry ingredients.
- Use your hands or a small scooper to form balls with the mixture and place them on a wire rack over a baking sheet.* (Yes, you can bake directly on the sheet.)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the chicken sausage balls reach an internal temperature of 165F.**
* For even sausage balls, you can weigh the entire mixture and divide by the number of balls you'd like to make. Then weigh each ball as you go. This will take a bit more time than eyeballing it like I did!
** If you make larger/smaller sausage balls, cook time may be affected. Adjust accordingly.
Nutrition Information Notes
- 2 chicken sausage cheese balls have 3 Smart Points.
- If you're making different sized sausage balls, the entire recipe as-is has 1,800 calories, 164g protein, 138g carbs, 71g fat, and 45 Smart Points.
- Nutrition information does not include any carbs from the zero-calorie Swerve sweeteners.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 26 Sausage Balls Serving Size: 1 Sausage Ball
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 2.7gCarbohydrates: 5.3gProtein: 6.3g