Fans of chicken broccoli rice casserole will love this simple one pan version. Each bite is loaded with pan roasted broccoli, cheddar cheese, and creamy ranch seasoned ground chicken and rice.
This recipe is perfect for anyone looking to minimize kitchen cleanup and get a healthy meal on the table in a hurry. And every serving is packed with 31 grams of filling protein, making this a great meal prep option as well.
The beauty of casseroles and skillet style meals like this is that it can be a full meal on its own. That said, you may want to round out the dinner table if the family is sitting down together.
Okay, this ground chicken broccoli and rice skillet is an easy recipe so I don’t many additional notes for you. There’s a quick video below followed by a recipe card you can print or save to your device. If you have any questions about the recipe, ask away in the comments below.
And if you like this style of recipe, you’ll want to check out my chicken taco casserole, Korean ground turkey and rice skillet, and ground bison and cauliflower rice skillet recipes next. It has a crunchy cucumber topping that I’m obsessed with.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 12 oz Broccoli Florets, cut into small bite-size pieces
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Ranch Seasoning*
- 1 cup (180g) Short Grain Rice, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth or Water
- 4 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar, freshly grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the broccoli begins to char around the edges and is a dark green color. Transfer to a bowl and season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, followed by the ground chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown one side of the chicken before breaking apart and fully cooking.
- Add the ranch seasoning and rice to the ground chicken. Stir everything together and cook for 30-60 seconds to lightly toast the rice before adding 1/2 cup of chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil before covering and reducing to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 12-15 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Stir around the 8- minute mark to prevent sticking to the pan.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and add half the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese before folding in the broccoli. Add the remaining cheese on top and cover for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with black pepper, chile flakes, and parmesan, if desired.
*If you don't have ranch seasoning on hand, you can season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and herbs like dill and parsley. You may also like swapping ranch for something like the lemon pepper seasoning in my lemon ricotta ground turkey pasta.
Nutrition Facts Notes
You can add volume to the recipe by adding a diced sweet onion to the ground chicken after browning.
To reduce the fat content, you can skip adding the cheese in the chicken and rice. Just top the dish with 2 ounces of cheese.
You can add about 5 grams of protein per serving by using a bone broth.
Short grain rice is typically a bit stickier than long grain rice, which I think works well for creamy, cheesy chicken and rice. If you prefer long grain rice, it should work fine in this recipe.
Using a veggie rice like Right Rice can reduce the carbs and increase protein and fiber content. You may need to slightly adjust the liquid.
You can roast the broccoli in an oven or air fryer. Just toss in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 425ºF for 8-10 minutes and add at the same step.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 10.5 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gProtein: 31g