This cheesy Cajun chicken orzo pairs ground chicken with the Cajun holy trinity, garlic, lemon juice, Tabasco hot sauce, orzo, and two kinds of cheese to make a hearty one skillet meal.
There’s a recipe card below for you to print. Drop any questions you have in the comments below.
If you’re looking for another recipe to make with orzo, check out my lemon pepper ground turkey and broccoli orzo or brown butter mushroom orzo recipes next. And if love this Cajun ground chicken and orzo, I always appreciate recipe reviews!
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 1 large White Onion, diced
- 4 hearts Celery, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons Tabasco Hot Sauce
- 1 1/3 cup (220g) Orzo
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 oz Grated Parmesan
- 1-2 handfuls Freshly Chopped Parsley
- 2-3 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add the ground chicken and brown one side for 3-4 minutes before flipping and pushing to one side of the pan.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and cajun seasoning. Stir everything together with the chicken and cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the orzo, hot sauce, lemon juice, and chicken broth, stirring everything together. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is cooked and little liquid remains, about 12 minutes. (Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of broth if needed.)
- Turn off the heat and stir in the milk, parmesan, and herbs. Top with the cheddar cheese and cover to melt or place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Serve with fresh lemon juice and additional hot sauce, if desired.
Even with the hot sauce, this is a milder dish. Feel free to add ground cayenne pepper to the cajun seasoning or more hot sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: about 8 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 25g