Low Calorie S’mores Cake Bars Recipe with Chocolate Protein Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
My girlfriend is experimenting with tracking her macros for the first time ever, which I’m beyond pumped about. But naturally, she decided to pull recipes from my blog and request they be made by yours truly. Don’t worry, she was nice about it. I was about to throw down on a giant batch of my s’mores protein pancakes but honestly didn’t feel like making a big mess in the kitchen and wielding multiple skillets at 8 PM. After requesting permission to experiment with something a bit easier, we ended up with these s’mores cake bars.
They’re seriously easy. Like, add everything to a giant bowl, stir, and pour into a baking dish. The ingredients aren’t all that different from my s’mores protein pancakes but like I mentioned above, sometimes it’s much easier to pop something in the oven than stand over the stove. Not to mention, this easily doubles the quantity of the pancake recipe, leaving you with a week’s worth of snacks.
What You Need to Know About This S’Mores Cake Bars Recipe
The recipe is simple enough that I won’t talk much about ingredients. If you have questions about coconut flour or ingredient modifications, I’d check out the s’mores pancakes recipe write up here.
When it comes to toppings for your cake bars, ya got options. Here’s a look at the macros and calories for all three variations:
- Per s’mores cake bar without toppings (recipe makes 20): 142 Calories | 11.2P | 16.3C | 3.6F
- Per s’mores cake bar with chocolate protein frosting: 167 Calories | 14.4P | 18.8C | 3.8F
- Per s’mores cake bar with marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips topping: 152 Calories | 11.2P | 17.7C | 4F
The chocolate protein frosting is listed as topping option number 1 within the recipe. It’s straightforward and only calls for three ingredients, with the only note being about fat-free evaporated milk. Be sure to grab the products without added sugar in the place of fat. We want 25 calories per two tablespoons, and I’ve seen some with over 100 calories per 1/4 cup.
The only other ingredient note I have pertains to marshmallow bits. Since these buggers can be difficult to find, you can find them in the Swiss Miss marshmallow lovers edition. You can also use regular mini marshmallows since they’ll be going into a cake batter. If you use mini marshmallows as a topping, however, you may want to pop your cake bars back in the oven for 5 minutes to give them a slight toasting.
WHAT PROTEIN POWDER WORKS BEST FOR RECIPES?
The macros are with Gold Standard Whey.
If you’d like to learn more about the different types of whey protein and how to find the best value for protein, read this article.
S'mores Protein Cake Bars
Lower calorie, higher protein s'mores cake bars with two topping options.
S'mores Cake Bars
- 2 scoops (64g) Protein Powder vanilla
- 1 C (112g) Coconut Flour
- 1 C (112g) Graham Cracker Crumbs or 8 crackers, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp Stevia or 0-Calorie Sweetener optional to taste
- 4 C (904g) Fat-Free Greek Yogurt vanilla or plain with 1 tsp vanilla extract added
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 C (368g) Liquid Egg Whites or 8 whole egg whites
- 1 C (244g) Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 C (40g) Marshmallow Bits or mini marshmallows
- 1/2 C (112g) Dark Chocolate Chips
Topping Option 1 (Chocolate Protein Frosting)
- 1 C (240mL) Fat-Free Evaporated Milk
- 2 scoops (64g) Protein Powder vanilla
- 1/4 C (20g) Unsweetened Dark Cocoa Powder
Topping Option 2
- 1/4 C (10g) Marshmallow Bits optional
- 2 Tbsp (28g) Mini Chocolate Chips optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. (The batter will take every bit of space in the baking dish. Do not try to fit in a smaller dish. If you have a smaller dish, cut the recipe in half.)
Mix dry cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Add Greek yogurt, egg whites, whole eggs, and apple sauce. Stir until smooth like cake batter.
Gently fold marshmallow bits and chocolate chips into the batter.
Add batter to baking dish. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out of the cake's center clean.
For topping option 1, mix ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. For topping option 2, simply add the marshmallow bits and chocolate chips to the top of the cake.
Add your choice of toppings immediately after removing the cake from the oven. Give the cake time to cool before slicing into 20 bars. (One slice in the middle and 10 horizontal slices.)
- Per s'mores cake bar without toppings (recipe makes 20): 142 Calories | 11.2P | 16.3C | 3.6F
- Per s'mores cake bar with chocolate protein frosting: 167 Calories | 14.4P | 18.8C | 3.8F
- Per s'mores cake bar with marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips topping: 152 Calories | 11.2P | 17.7C | 4F
If you’re obsessed with s’mores like me, you’ll want to check out my other s’mores recipes:
If you make these s’mores cake bars or any of my recipes, I want to see your creation on Instagram. It’s my favorite place to share recipe re-creations with other readers. And seeing recipes in action puts a smile on my face in a major way.
Want to have your cake and eat it, too? Check out my free cookbook for pizza lovers. There are 15 recipes inside for healthy pizza alternatives that I think you’ll enjoy.
And yes, there are even a few dessert pizzas. You can check it out here or simply enter your info below and I’ll send a copy your way.