Low Fat Everything Bagel Biscuits
These low fat biscuits combine everything bagel seasoning, extra sesame seeds, and Greek yogurt to create light and fluffy biscuits with just 4 grams of fat. This is an easy recipe that can be prepped with nothing more than a mixing bowl, fork, and baking sheet!
These everything bagel biscuits were inspired by Stella Parks’ black sesame buttermilk biscuits on Serious Eats.
How to Make These Low Fat Biscuits
If you’ve made my original Greek yogurt biscuits or spinoffs like my healthier monkey bread, his will be a breeze. These everything bagel biscuits use essentially the same recipe with additional seasoning and sesame oil instead of an egg yolk wash.
If you feel you need a more in depth look at how to make these biscuits or help with troubleshooting, I’ve included a video tutorial from the original recipe below.
But don’t worry, this is an easy one!
Feel free to use a food processor or stand mixer to mix the everything bagel biscuit dough, but I used a fork to keep things simple AND prevent over mixing. If you work the dough too much, the gluten in the flour will develop and create tough biscuits.
You can see in the far right image above that there’s quite a bit of dry flour remaining when the biscuit dough goes from bowl to board.
You’ll use your hands to bring the dough together and press into a rectangle before cutting the biscuits. And other than brushing with a bit of oil and topping with extra everything bagel seasoning, your biscuits are ready to bake.
Easy enough, right?
Like I mentioned above, the video below will walk you through from start to finish and covers just about every potential issue.
Everything Bagel Biscuits Ingredient Modifications
Can I use other types of flour in my biscuits?
Common ingredient questions about the original Greek yogurt biscuits are typically about different flours. I’ve tried to make the biscuits with almond flour and even a mixture of almond and coconut flour without any luck.
Some readers have mentioned using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free flour successfully, but I haven’t tried it personally.
What is Swerve?
The recipe calls for Swerve as the granulated sugar substitute. This is an erythritol-based, 0-calorie sweetener that substitutes 1:1 for sugar.
Take note of the weight in the recipe. 24 grams is roughly the same weight as granulated sugar. If you use something like stevia or sucralose (Splenda), they’re probably more concentrated and won’t have the same volume. This could affect the consistency of the dough and maybe even the final product.
Though I’ve heard people have used both Splenda and baking stevia successfully in the original recipe. It’s just worth mentioning.
Can I use full fat butter?
Yep. That should be totally fine. The only difference is you may have to work a bit more to cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
Note: If you wanted a butter-free option, check out my pumpkin biscuits.
Final Everything Bagel Biscuits Recipe Notes
One thing Stella mentioned in her black sesame seed biscuits recipe was to use toasted sesame seeds since they’ll have more flavor. If you have trouble finding toasted sesame seeds of either variety, you can pop them in the oven at 350F for 3-5 minutes before using.
If you don’t have sesame oil on hand, any oil will work!
And I think that’s all you need to know. When you try these everything bagel biscuits, I’d love to know what you think. Share your thoughts with me on Instagram @mason_woodruff or in my free Facebook group (this is also a great place to ask questions to about 10,000 other healthy home cooks).
- 1 1/2 C (180g) All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp (24g) Granulated Sugar Substitute, I used Swerve
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt, or 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 Tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning, divided
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, I used black sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp (28g) Light Butter, I used Land O' Lakes with canola
- 3/4 C (170g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Tbsp (8g) Sesame Oil, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar substitute, baking powder, salt, sesame seeds, and 2 teaspoons of the everything bagel seasoning together in a large bowl before cutting the butter in with a fork. (Reserve 1 teaspoon of the everything seasoning for brushing on top before baking.)
- Add the Greek yogurt and mix until a dough begins to form. Don't over mix. There should be some remaining flour in the bowl.
- Empty the dough and remaining dry ingredients onto a flat surface. Use your hands to work everything together until no crumbs remain.
- Press the dough into a rectangle that's about 8"x5". (You can spray your hands with a bit of cooking spray or lightly flour them to prevent any sticking, though you shouldn't have any issues.)
- Cut the rectangle into 6 pieces and transfer the pieces to the baking sheet. Brush the top with sesame oil and sprinkle the remaining everything bagel seasoning on top.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown around the edges.
Each biscuit has 5 Smart Points.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Biscuits Serving Size: 1 Biscuit
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 6g