Low Carb Pizza Cups: A High Protein Pizza Cravings Fix
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
With so many uncertainties and points of contention in the world today, I think we can all agree that pizza is one of the top five foods in existence. After all, I don’t think you’d be reading this if you weren’t a fellow pizza lover. The problem with pizza, however, is its unfriendliness to our waistlines. This low carb pizza cups recipe aims to conquer just that. And with only 0.6 grams of carbs and 60 calories per pizza cup, it does a stand-up job.
Ingredients for Low Carb Pizza Cups
To make this recipe even more awesome, the ingredient list is a short one. You could make modifications based on your goals. For example, I used regular shredded mozzarella instead of fat-free like the recipe calls for. If you have higher fat needs (i.e. keto), you could add whole eggs in place of some of the egg whites or use pork pepperoni. And as always, you can add more cheese.
As for how you season these, I used a blend of Italian-themed spices via Mrs. Dash’s Italian Medley. Feel free to use fresh garlic, oregano, or any spices you like.
The only other ingredient note would be about dipping sauce. You could make a low carb marinara with whole tomatoes and herbs, but I like to keep things simple. Newman’s Own Marinara has fewer than 10 calories and 1-2g of carbs per tablespoon. Unless you’re going sauce crazy, you should only need a few tablespoons. There are several pre-made marinaras with favorable calories and macros. Just keep an eye on the labels and serving sizes.
Okay, here’s the recipe.
Low Carb Pizza Cups
The perfect make-ahead meal or snack option with only 60 calories and 9 grams of protein per serving.
- 1 1/2 C (368g) Liquid Egg Whites or 8 eggs, separated
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 C (84g) Fat-Free Shredded Mozzarella
- 34 slices (60g) Turkey Pepperoni
- 1/4 C (28g) Shredded Parmesan
- 1-2 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian Medley or seasoning of your choice
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Dice 1 serving of pepperonis. Mix egg whites, eggs, mozzarella, diced pepperoni, and seasoning in a large bowl.
Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and add 1 whole pepperoni to the bottom of each mold.
Fill the muffin tin with egg mixture, topping with the remaining pepperoni (5 if you used 12 at the bottom) and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 24-26 minutes.
- Each pizza cup has 1 Smart Point
- Entire Recipe: 725 Calories | 106g of Protein | 7g of Carbs | 30g of Fat
- If you want a crispier pizza cup, you can try adding a serving or two of breadcrumbs and slightly reducing the amount of egg whites. You can also extend the bake time as long as the tops of your pizza cups aren't burning.
If you make this pizza cups recipe or any other recipe from my site, tag me in your creation on Instagram.