10-Minute Mexican Street Corn off the Cob
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish for your next Taco Tuesday or a tasty way to use up canned corn in your pantry, this Mexican street corn off the cob is the move. You can have it on the table in about 10 minutes and thanks to some lower calorie ingredients, you can load up on this stuff without breaking the calorie bank!
Easy Street Corn off the Cob Recipe Tutorial
I’ll walk you through the recipe from start to finish below and touch on ingredient substitutions as we go. You’ll find a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well.
Step 1: Drain a can of corn and pat dry.
You can drain a can of corn over the sink and be perfectly fine, but you can use paper towels to pat the corn dry for faster charring in the pan. The more moisture you can remove before going in the pan, the better!
If you want to use frozen corn, you can go straight in the pan from frozen or microwave first to speed things up a bit.
Step 2: Heat a skillet with olive oil before adding the corn.
You can skip the oil, but the half tablespoon does wonders for the charring of the corn. Another option that’s a bit more authentic is butter or light butter. You could swap either in for the olive oil.
Step 3: Sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the corn develops a slight charring.
Don’t be afraid to leave the pan alone to give the corn enough contact time with the pan. Don’t burn the corn all over, just a little bit here and there.
Step 4: Mix Greek yogurt, lime juice, chili powder, salt, cilantro, and light mayo (optional) together in a bowl.
This part is entirely up to you. Add cayenne pepper for more spice or swap smoked paprika in for a slightly different flavor profile. Or leave the lime juice out and go with some like Tajin or chile lime seasoning.
As for the Greek yogurt and light mayo, you could use dairy free options for both. There’s really no messing this street corn up.
And if you do tinker a little too much with flavors, you can probably fix it after the fact. Too much spice? Add some acidity from lime juice and yogurt or a bit of sugar. Too salty, add some fat with queso fresco or more Greek yogurt. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
Step 5: Add the corn and mix everything together.
One tip here: taste the yogurt mixture before adding the corn and adjust as needed.
Step 6: Add the optional Cotija cheese straight in or save for topping each serving.
It’s not the prettiest person at the prom straight out of the bowl, so you can really pretty it up with a bit of queso fresco and cilantro on top.
Pairing Ideas for Your Street Corn
Here’s a handful of recipes from my blog that would work great as a main dish:
- Crispy Pork Tenderloin Carnitas
- Crispy Chicken Tacos, Baked Cheesy Beef Tacos, or Green Chile Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Baked Cuban Pork Tenderloin
- Chipotle Ranch Chicken Tenders
I think that covers everything you need to know. If you have a question about this Mexican street corn, leave a comment or hop in my free Facebook group and ask the 12,000+ cooks there for some help!
- 15 oz can Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1/2 Tbsp (8g) Olive Oil
- 1/4 C (56g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp (15g) Light Mayo (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Juice from 1/2 a Lime
- 1/4 C (28g) Cotija Cheese or Queso Fresco (optional)
- Drain the can of corn. Optional: Empty the corn onto a paper towel and pat dry. Less moisture = faster charring on the corn.
- Heat a large skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the drained corn and sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the corn is slightly charred.
- While the corn cooks, mix the remaining ingredients (except the Cotija cheese) in a large bowl.
- Add the charred corn to the yogurt mixture and stir well. Add the Cotija cheese at the end, if desired. Serve warm and enjoy!
Each 1/3 cup serving of corn has 2 WW SmartPoints (blue plan).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Servings Serving Size: 1/3 C (75g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 5gCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 5g